Valmeinier is the most recent ski resort to have been built in the Maurienne Valley (Savoie). It has two sites: the traditional village of Valmeinier, with its stone houses, at 1500 metres and Valmienier 1800, with its modern buildings that, nevertheless, blend very nicely with the mountain environment. In both sites, access to the ski slopes is very good, with the possibility of doorstep skiing for just about every building.
The resort shares its ski area, the Galibier Thabor, with the neighbouring resort of Valloire. The 150 km of slopes, with 70% above 2000 metres, situated in a beautiful setting, are varied and suitable for all levels of skier. For freestylers, the resort also has a Snowpark in the "Lac de la Vieille" area and an "easypark" for the children and beginners. The resort also offers sports and relaxation activities for non-skiers.
Information relating to the ski area: Valmeinier + Valloire
- Maximum altitude: 2600 m
- Minimum altitude: 1500 m
- Number of ski lifts: 34 (gondola lifts: 2, chairlifts: 17, drag lifts: 14, carpet lifts: 1)
- Number of ski runs: 85 (black: 11, red: 31, blue: 24, green: 19)
- Total distance: 150 km
- Dedicated activity areas: 3 (boarder cross: 1, snow park: 1, half-pipe: 1)
- Piste map
- Chambéry to Valmeinier: 98 kilometres (61 miles). Estimated time: 1 hour 13 minutes
- Grenoble to Valmeinier: 128 kilometres (80 miles). Estimated time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Lyon to Valmeinier: 203 kilometres (126 miles). Estimated time: 2 hours 12 minutes